About two years ago, The Highlands Company came to The Condiment Marketing Co. (formerly No. 2 Pen), to discuss the possible ways to communicate with their 300+ affiliated consultants. Having known the folks at The Highlands Company for several years, we jumped at the opportunity to work with such a reputable organization that does such great work! While we typically work with food-focused companies, many of our clients fall outside the food/beverage industries. We enjoy the variety. Below is our career marketing case study for The Highlands Company.
The Marketing Challenge
The Highlands Company publishes the Highlands Ability Battery (HAB) and trains consultants to administer the HAB and Highlands Whole Person Method all over the world. Their objective is for students, adults, and business leaders to find career happiness by leveraging their natural talents. The HAB reveals how you are hardwired to perform best at work and in life.
While the company had great reach, the staff was stretched thin and was eager to support their network of consultants more than they could at the time. There are over 300 Highlands Certified Consultants (HCCs) who are also career coaches, therapists, and professional development pros. There are also others who use the HAB with their clients or employees. Highlands makes it a priority to support their consultants and wanted to do more than a monthly teletraining and occasional email newsletter.
The Marketing Solution
After reviewing the company’s branding, marketing materials, and goals, the solution became evident. The company needed a completely new and fresh marketing approach that hinged on content. Our work included:
- A new website that properly reflected the brand’s bright colors and timeless value that the consultants could reference and share with pride
- Revised web content and regular blog posts to generate qualified leads for the HCCs listed in the Highlands online directory
- An updated secure section on the website specifically for consultants that included training and marketing materials (most of which was also updated to properly reflect the Highlands brand and the HCC’s needs)
- Monthly email newsletters for the HCCs and the public providing natural ability insights and news
- Social media marketing to communicate and inspire consultants and customers alike
- A mix of outreach campaigns to garner the buzz The Highlands Company deserved
In summary, our work with The Highlands Company was and continues to be a textbook case of content marketing. We have worked to tell the Highlands story through mediums the consultants and their customers care about.
The Content Marketing Results
The data shows a positive result, and the anecdotal results are even better.
Since the launch of the new website in May 2015, The Highlands Company website has seen a 15% increase in visitor sessions and a 19% increase in the number of users. The increase can be credited to the new content on the website, media mentions, and a flux of new HCCs who shared Highlands social media posts, website links, and more.
Our friends at The Highlands Company, including many of the HCCs, report receiving more high-quality leads than ever. And, the staff at The Highlands Company are pleased with the ability to support their consultants more extensively and still have the time to focus on other areas of business.
If you are interested in professional development or seeking a career assessment, we can’t recommend Highlands enough.